Student Name Change

Guidelines for Changing the Name on Official Records

The Records Office is responsible for maintaining a student's official legal name for Texas A&M University and for the State of Texas. Please read the following guidelines carefully before requesting a change of name. These guidelines will assist you in changing your legal name with Texas A&M University. Legal documentation must be presented with the completed Name Change Request form in order to alter your name as it appears on your original application for admission to Texas A&M University. You must present the original legal document, which will be copied in the Records section for your file. If you are requesting a name change via mail, you must submit a certified copy of the legal document that bears an original county certification stamp. Acceptable legal documents for name changes are determined by the reason for the change as shown below. A driver's license, social security card, or marriage certificate issued by the church, are not acceptable as legal documentation for a change of name by Texas A&M, except when correcting a minor spelling error such as a transposition of letters.

1.  Typical Reasons for Names Changes

Reason for Name Change Documentation Required
Marriage Original marriage license bearing the filing stamp from the county or parish in which the license was issued. Church-issued marriage certificates are not acceptable documentation for a name change.
Divorce Original divorce decree that includes a specific decree granting restoration of the maiden name. The decree must be signed by the presiding judge and bear the county filing stamp. (If submitting a copy, you need only include the first page of the decree, the page containing the name restoration order, and the page bearing the judge's signature.)
Court Order Original court order signed by the presiding judge and bearing the county filing stamp.
Citizenship by Naturalization Original Certificate of Naturalization.
Correct an Error on the Admission Application Birth certificate, Permanent Resident card, or current, valid U.S. passport.

IMPORTANT NOTE FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS: International students' names must appear on your University records exactly as they appear on the passport issued by your home country. The U.S. entry visa may not be used as documentation for a name change.

2.  Student Legal Name

 The legal name as maintained in the Compass Student Information System will be the name that appears on your Texas A&M University permanent record, on your diploma, and in the official commencement program. Changes permitted to your name are as follows:

Name Change Type Name Change Permitted
First Name You may not drop, alter, or change your first name without legal documentation such as a birth certificate, court order, Certificate of Naturalization, Permanent Resident card, or passport. International students may not alter any portion of their name from the way it appears on their passport.
Middle Name You may change your given middle name to a middle initial (i.e. change "Sue" to "S.") without legal documentation. A birth certificate, passport, Certificate of Naturalization, or Permanent Resident card is needed to expand the middle name from an initial or to remove the middle name completely. Name changes permitted based on a marriage license include replacement of the given middle name with the maiden name or inclusion of the maiden name with the given middle name. International students may not alter any portion of their name from the way it appears on their passport.
Last Name (Surname, Family Name) Your last name may be changed only on the basis of a marriage license, divorce decree granting restoration of the maiden name, Certificate of Naturalization, Permanent Resident card, or court order. When changing your name based on marriage, you may replace your maiden name with your married name, or use both names. A combined surname will be hyphenated. International students may not alter any portion of their name from the way it appears on their passport.


3.  Degree Candidate Name Changes

Name changes for degree candidates must be completed no later than one week prior to the deadline to apply for graduation without a late fee. Students changing names after this date may be required to pay another diploma fee to cover the cost of reordering. Diplomas ordered after this name change deadline may not be received in time for the commencement ceremony (contact the Degree Audit Office for further details).

4.  Other Student Name Change Information

If requesting your change of name in person, the original documents must be presented to the Records section where a copy will be made for your student file. Only a certified copy of an original legal document will be accepted by mail. No change of name will be processed on the basis of a document sent by facsimile (fax).